Sunday 16 April 2017

Common Lifer

We have been spending the Easter weekend in South Wales with family and although early in the Spring I decided I was worth a walk out from the house to look for Wood Warbler, the commonest bird missing from my new life list. I saw them when much younger but not listing.

I walked an nice area of woodland by the river soon seeing Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and hearing a rather vocal Song Thrush. I then heard a Wood Warbler,a called I'd brush up on. Dispite the trees still being a bit sparse of leaves it took me a while to locate this little lemon gem high in the canopy. I walked further onto an area of scruby heath which I suspect was old slag from the local mines. Here I disturbed a Ring Ouzel and saw my first Whitethroat of the year as well as various other common species all in spring song. I was perplexed by one call I didn't recognise which turned out to be the Ring Ouzel I've only heard alert and contact calls in Norfolk.

On Saturday dispenser some drizzly rain we all went for tea, cake and a short walk. The wildlife was limited but we all enjoyed watching two Dipper displaying and then feeding from the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment