Sunday 28 January 2018

Big Garden Bird Watch

Yesterday after putting Agnes down for a mid-morning nap I pulled up the chair in the study to conduct my hour of bird watching for the RSPB Big Garden Bird watch, after 20 minutes it was obvious Agnes didn't want to nap so I decided to postpone my bird watching until later. Instead we headed out as a family to take in a couple of local churches as part of my family history research. Barton Turf church was very pleasant, but I discovered from some very good literature within the church my relations buried here have unmarked graves. We thought about walking around the board walk to Barton Broad, but instead decided to try and find Neatistead Church. I wish we had stopped as I have since found out a Black-necked Grebe has been present 2 days. Driving on towards Potter Heigham for a light lunch I did see a small group of wild swans on the marshes by Ludham, but didn't stop for a detailed ID. On our return it was raining so I didn't bother continuing the Garden Bird Watch.

Saturday 27th 10:00am -10:20am (max. counts)

17 Feral Pigeon     06 Blackbird
28 Woodpigeon     12 House Sparrow
02 Magpie             01 Robin
11 Goldfinch         02 Black-headed Gull
06 Herring Gull     02 Jackdaw
02 Chaffinch


With Agnes staying at my parent's over night Laura enjoyed and over due lay in, while I got up and got an hour of bird watching undisturbed. For now at least I can view quite a large area from the study window, my garden, an area wasteland behind the house and a distant view of farmland beyond the industrial estate. A neighbour a few doors down seemed to have a better bird banquet on offer, so although my immediate garden was quiet I still managed a decent tally. A small group of Gulls tend to roost on the industrial estate buildings, and being early I watched them heading out to the fields. There were many more Gulls present than recorded, as they slowly drifted off and only max. number was listed. I also managed a new 'Garden List' bird, with a Female Bullfinch in the scrub on the wasteland.

Sunday 07:50am - 08:50am

05 Feral Pigeon     08 Blackbird
34 Woodpigeon     14 House Sparrow
05 Magpie             01 Blue Tit
09 Goldfinch         13 Black-headed Gull
17 Herring Gull     09 Jackdaw
04 Chaffinch         11 Starling
01 Song Thrush     09 Carrion Crow
02 Dunnock           01 Grey Heron
01 Bullfinch          02 Common Gull
01 Collared Dove  02 Great Tit
02 Long-tailed Tit 02 Lesser Black-backed Gull

This afternoon we decided to take a drive to Sea Palling so Agnes could play in the amusement arcade for an hour. On route we saw two Common Buzzard near Dilham, perched by the road I've seen them in the same tree 3 of the last 4 times I've driven past. A Red Kite soured over the road by Wayford Bridge and two Kestrel were near Stalham. Adding to the raptor list, on our return a Merlin flew along side the car near Sea Palling and a Marsh Harrier headed towards the Hickling roost. Near Ingham Corner two bats flew around while Laura was pulled over to take a sunset photo. A Tawny Owl also flew across the road at Meeting Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment