Monday 12 February 2018

Happisburgh and Letheringsett

Last Wednesday (7th) after getting the food shopping I headed to Happisburgh with an hour to kill hoping to catch up with the Shorelark that have been present most of the winter, but have eluded me on two previous visits. Walking up to the Lighthouse I had a better view of the whole of the 'lighthouse field' as last time i'd walked the clifftop path. After 10 minutes of scanning I located the Shorelark feeding relatively distantly feeding near the coastal path, typical. 3 Brent Geese were also in the field, 1 Pied Wagtail and a couple of Skylark. Walkiing the clifftop for a closer view the waves pounded the base of the cliff and there was evidence of further small cliff falls that morning. As I got closer to the area the Shorelark had been in a dog walker approached from the direction of Cart Gap and the Shorelark flew past me before landing further inland, close to the Lighthouse but out of view. A quick scan of the sea reveled a few Red-throated Diver, a group of 5 Brent Geese and the expected gulls.


I had a quick look in on Lessingham Church but it was locked, so after a few external photos I headed headed to Stalham. A Marsh Harrier was quartering the field near Ingham, before I picked up some gardening supplies at Wayford. Agnes was having a nap when I got back to mum's so I spent a hour or so digging the allotment. 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit and an unexpected Reed Bunting were nearby and a mixed group of Fieldfare and Redwing flew over.

On Thursday Agnes and I had a walk on Walcott seafront collecting stones and flotsam and jetsam from the tide line. The Turnstone's rapid walking reducing Agnes to fits of laughter.

This morning (12th) as Agnes was up and fed early I thought we could have a wander in Holt. Firstly we headed to Letheringsett to see if we could see the long-staying Arctic Redpoll. It was rather quiet when we arrived, but Agnes was happy playing Pooh Sticks on the bridge for a bit, a flock of LTT also came very close and amused her. I heard a Redpoll call and eventually found a small group of Redpoll in the Alders in the field. I soon located the Mealy Redpoll and after a couple of birds arrived from further along the track spotted atleast 1 Arctic Redpoll, however the birds soon moved and Agnes' patience ran out. I felt a bit guilty as I left the birders who had located the Arctic Redpoll for me, with Agnes screaming. Rather than visit Holt we stopped off at Salhouse duck pond and fed the ducks, much more to Agnes' liking. A Marsh Harrier was close by, the Brent Geese and Black Brant could not be seen while driving past Cley East Bank. Stopping at Sheringham for a wander around the shops we saw a Purple Sandpiper on the rocks by The Crown and plenty of gulls but nothing unusual.

No comments:

Post a Comment