Thursday 12 April 2018

Wheatears In The Mist?

After taking Agnes to the in-laws, doing some shopping in the city and pottering at home, by 1pm the thick mist I had awoken to still persisted. I had considered going to look for the American Bittern after shopping in Norwich, so really wanted to do some sort of birding despite the murk.

I decided to have a wander around Happisburgh, an area I've not yet visited this spring. Parking at the Village Hall a few Pied Wagtail were around the Cricket Pitch and more flew over calling, but out of sight in the mist. Walking towards the Old Coastguard Lookout this greeted me, and viability seemed worse in person.


Before reaching the Pill Box my eyes were drawn to a small silhouetted bird atop the muck heap, finally a Wheatear? As I crept closer to investigate 2 female Ring Ouzel burst from the scrub to my right and quickly disappeared in the mist, flying inland. Turning back to the muck heap my 'Wheatear' was actually a male Black Redstart. He was showing very well, but in the poor light I couldn't get a photo. While I followed him around the buildings though I flushed 2 Goldcrest that seemed rather tired and in no hurry to move off.  Four Redwing and two Fieldfare then got up from the very edge of the plough, I must have walked past them once at least. I left the Black Redstart atop the Pill Box and walked the coast path towards the church. Some Linnet and Redwing flew over calling but I saw no birds until I was beyond the caravan site. Here I disturbed a third Ring Ouzel this time a male, I seemed to be on top of the bird before noticing because of the poor viability. Walking back along Beach Road and through the village I saw the usual Tits, Finches and common birds.

Typically as I return to the car the mist started to lift a little. This enabled me to participate in some drive by birding, slowly scanning the fields and meadows between here and Walcott from the car. No sign of that illusive spring Wheatear or a transient Yellow Wagtail, but a dozen or so Fieldfare were near Witton as I returning home and the mist again descended.

No comments:

Post a Comment